Shenacadie is one of the small communities of our catchment area. It warrants it’s own page through the dedication and hard work of resident historian and genealogist, the late John Hughie MacNeil. There has been others like the late Mary (John Murdock) MacNeil along with the current interest and help from resident Earl Musgrave.
Shenacadie’s geographic location and its accessible harbours all set the scene for an active community. After 1890 regular boat connections were established between ports like Baddeck and Washabuck to join up with the railway in Shenacadie.
Shenacadie Log Cabin
The following information comes from John Hughie MacNeil, a native of Shenacadie, who we’d like to dedicate this page to.
The Log Cabin Site in which the youth walked to with John Hughie was the first to be built in Shenacadie. John Hughie’s great great grand father, Alexander MacNeil, was the one who built it in 1821, when he first settled in Shenacadie.
John Hughie showing the youth the sign he made, it has the date the cabin was built, the name of the man who built it, Alexander MacNeil, his wife’s name and all of his children’s names.
The following video was taken during a walk with John Hughie to the Log Cabin Site.
John Hughie talks about the old highway, which used to run right through the hills seen in the video. He also tells a story about his hay cutting experiences when he was younger.
Here is a direct link to Google Maps which shows the exact location of the Log Cabin that was once there: Google Map
The GPS coordinates of this location are N 46°01.918′, W 060°38.112′